Who should Consider Foot and Ankle Surgery ?
People suffering from below mentioned conditions need to get the treatment done:
- Foot deformities
- Hammer toes
- Ankle injuries
- Ligament fractures
- Diabetic foot disorders
- Other trauma to the ankle and leg
Types of Foot and Ankle Surgery:
Though such surgeries take normally a day’s time but one needs to stay in the hospital for around 5 days. Following are the types:
Bunions is that condition which occurs because of the enlargement or overgrowth of the big toe joint. It slowly drifts away from the others in the reverse direction. When it rubs with the shoes, it becomes the cause of pain and irritation. This can be corrected through surgery.
The condition when the human toes become claw-shaped or are permanently bent, it is known as hammer toes. This can be corrected through a number of ways such as arthroplasty and arthrodesis . These surgeries take a span ranging from an hour to a day.
The joints in your forefoot are called metatarsal-phalangeal joints. They can get damaged by inflammation of the lining of the joint (synovitis) or can get dislocated when damaged by arthritis, causing irritation and pain. . If other treatments do not help, surgery is the only solution, depending on the severity of the problem.
The cause of ankle arthritis is osteoarthritis where the cartilage covering the ends of the bones get roughed-up and gradually become thin. The bone below it thickens, causing rheumatic conditions. It becomes the cause of swelling, deformity and pain, which needs surgery for correction. There are two options:
- Ankle fusion –
- This process deals with removal of the damaged ankle joint and then fusing patient’s talus bone to his tibia for making a stiff and pain-free ankle. The foot is fused with the leg at a right angle where bones are put together with screws and new bone grows taking around 12–14 weeks
- Ankle replacement –
- This procedure deals with removal of the worn-out ends of the foot’s tibia and talus bones and their replacement with the artificial ends that might be made up of plastic or metal. This surgery takes around an hour or two and a patient gets well in 6 weeks. This replacement lasts for around 15 years and may need new joints.
- Achilles tendon disorders -
- The largest tendon in a human body is the Achilles tendon, which needs a lot of power for movement. With age, it starts wearing, leading to swelling and pain within the main tendon. Mostly the method of its treatment is surgery, performed in a day’s time and needing crutches later.
- Presently, there are 3 choices in ankle replacement implants where each has a specific design. The three types ate- InBone (Wright) ankle replacement, The Salto Talaris (Tornier) ankle replacement and the Agility (Depuy) ankle replacement.
- Morton’s neuroma -
- Morton’s neuroma is a painful condition that mainly creates a painful condition in nerves (third and fourth toes) that supply sensation to the two neighboring toes. If the problem is severe, surgery for removal of the nerve is the solution which needs you to wear a bandage for about 2 weeks afterwards.
- Tibialis posterior dysfunction -
- Tibialis posterior, the muscle supporting the shape of the human’s instep arch and the tendon gets inflamed that results in swelling and pain on the inside of the ankle. This generally results in a flatfooted appearance. If the condition is worse, the only resort is surgery for rebuilding the instep arch. The operation takes around 2 hours and takes around 8-12 weeks to get healed.
- Plantar fasciitis -
- Plantar fascia is a group of strong fibrous tissue that spreads across the sole of the foot to the toes. This condition causes inflammation in the very area where fascia is attached under the heel. Some bad cases require surgery for releasing the tissues from the heel bone. The surgery needs takes around an hour and one is needed to wear a bandage after the surgery.
Benefits of Foot and Ankle surgery
There are various benefits of foot and ankle surgery. Some are mentioned below:
- Relief from pain
- Restoration of joint function in patients
- Getting rid of osteoarthritis, traumatic arthritis or rheumatoid arthritis
- Ability to maintain movement in the joints
- A more normal walking gait pattern
- Protection of the surrounding joints
- A range of movement of ankle and foot
Cost of Foot and Ankle Surgery in India
The costs of any kind of surgery in the western countries like the USA and the UK is quite high. In comparison to this, the cost of foot and ankle surgery in India is quite pocket-friendly. The best part is that a patient can enjoy such affordable treatments from internationally trained doctors and surgeons who get the assistance of dedicated and professional staff/personnel. The technology used in top-most hospitals offering excellent personalized services is also the latest in the field.